Friday, August 23, 2013

paper wedding anniversary: oh the places you'll go...

My husband and I just celebrated our one year wedding anniversary and we decided to stick to tradition and follow the list of traditional anniversary gifts. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check this list out (we are doing traditional, not modern). We thought it would be a fun way to force each other to think out of the box and get creative with our gifts giving!

The first anniversary is 'paper' and with some help of some friends and my mom, I hatched the idea to give Tyler a map that marked places that held special significance to us (home, wedding site, honeymoon), places we have been together, and places that we wish to travel to someday. I started with just the US (hopefully a matching world one will be finished soon)...here is how I put it together!

Note: This is not framed because I knew the hubbs would be particular about the frame so he is picking that part out ;) Also, this semi-DIY had some cases of trial and error so please bear with me!

 Materials used...notes: 1-- super glue DID NOT work well to glue the cork tiles together. The glue just seeped into the cork. I think E6000 or hot glue would have worked BEST. I used a combination of rubber cement and tacky spray because I couldn't find my glue gun. 2--I had to buy two of the same map because Hawaii and Alaska were printed on the back and I needed to cut them out. Maps are COPYRIGHTED so do not try to get them copied at Kinko's or anywhere else....they CANNOT do it.
While the glue on the cork tiles was drying, I placed duct tape over the seams to help hold them together.
 Once the tiles dried, I glued the map** 
 to the tiles with the tacky spray. The cork tiles are fairly thin, so mid project I decided to attach the whole thing to foam board. Remove your duct tape and attach cork tile board to foam board.
Once they've sufficiently dried, add your pins and/or flags!
Finished product! Now all we need are some frames!

**I purchased one copy of the map from Barnes and Noble and one copy plus all of the pins at the website linked above. 

Cheers darlings!
Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment