Friday, May 31, 2013

cleanliness is yumminess

I love being able to buy organic produce whenever possible, however,
sometimes it can break the bank (especially after an accidental
shopping spree...oops). I like doing good by my
body so I do what I can to clean my produce without buying one of those "fruit
& veggie wash" products from the market.

My personal favorite product to clean my produce is lemon essential oil
(side note, using a certified pure theraputic grade essential oil is
crucial since not all essential oils are safe to ingest. I use DoTerra).



Take a large enough bowl to fit your items and fill with water.


Add 5-10 drops of lemon essential oil depending on the size of the bowl.

Swirl around for a few seconds (they won't mix completely)

Let the fruit or vegetables soak for a a few minutes


Then just give them a good rinse with clean water to get any residual lemon
essential oil off and voila!


Another great way is using the same big bowl of water and adding 3-5
tablespoons of baking soda. Then follow the same directions as with the lemon essential oil.

With both methods you'll see your water get nice and dirty which means
your fruits and veggies are clean.

I prefer the essential oil method because I feel like the oil leaves a
little coating on my fruit so it smells good and feels really clean.
However, I use baking soda a lot because I ALWAYS have it on
hand in large quantities and sometimes I don't want my cauliflower to
smell like lemons..although I have to say the lemon flavor on the strawberries is super yummy! Either way is safe for you and both methods work really well.

And there you have it: the easiest and cheapest way to clean your produce!

Naturally,
Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment